Can You Drink Distilled Water? Uses, Side Effects, and More
Did you ever think: Can you drink distilled water? Is distilled water safe to drink? What are the uses of distilled water? What are the side effects of distilled water? What are the differences between distilled water and purified water? Don't panic as we have answers to all these questions.
Is It Safe to Drink Distilled Water?
There are so many people wandering with the question, “is it ok to drink distilled water?”. The answer is yes. You can drink the distilled water, but you might not like the taste as the essential minerals and contaminants are removed from it. It is less flavorful than tap water and purified water. Though some studies indicate that distilled water helps the body detoxify and improve its strength, some studies show that it leaches minerals from your body and could put your health at risk. Neither of these is absolutely correct.
What is Distilled Water?
Distilled water comes under the category of purified water from which both contaminants and minerals are separated. Distilled water is boiled into vapor and then condensed back into liquid form. There are some case studies that claim that distilled water is the purest water.
What is Distilled Water Used For?
- To sterilize medical equipment: Due to the purity of distilled water, it has many uses in the hospital. Instruments used in the hospital during surgeries are to be sterilized with distilled water to ensure that there are no spots left. It is also used as a disinfectant to clean wounds because of its purity. It also prevents infection.
- For cosmetic use: Distilled water is effectively used in manufacturing cosmetics products as a solvent. Using distilled water increases the effectiveness of the ingredients to provide benefits to your hair and skin.
- Canned vegetables and fruits: It’s better to buy fruits and vegetables when they are in the season. With the help of distilled water, can preserve them for further use as the fruits and vegetables stay in vibrant colors, and the taste is also not altered.
Automobile care: Your automobiles also need water, and distilled water is best for it. Why is it best? Because distilled water does not contain any minerals, it does not end up with corrosion and build-up in the system.
What is Distilled Water Good For?
Distilled water does have many advantages and some of them are:
- Cleansing the body with pure water: When a person drinks distilled water, he is not consuming any contaminants, as distilled water is free from impurities. Some believe that distilled water helps in detoxifying the body.
- Reducing the risk of diseases: The process of distillation removes waterborne pathogens. Most of the bacteria that cause waterborne diseases do not survive the process of distillation.
- Reducing the risk of consumption of harmful chemicals: Distilled water is free from dangerous chemicals, contaminants, and even minerals.
What are the Side Effects Of Distilled Water?
The main risks occur due to the lack of minerals. As distilled water is free from chemicals, contaminants, and minerals. According to WHO, some of the side effects of drinking distilled water are:
- It has a flat taste that many people find repulsive, which leads to less water intake.
- It causes a reduction in the body's metabolism function.
- It results in an increase in urine output that could lead to electrolyte imbalance.
What Can I Use Instead Of Distilled Water
- Mineral Water: When it comes to drinking healthy water then mineral water is the best type of water you’ll find for drinking. It contains all the essential minerals like magnesium, iron, sulfate, calcium, and potassium. Ensure you are getting healthy drinking water using refrigerator water filters, or the best commercial water filters for your home or business.
- Spring Water: Spring water has its origin from underground lakes and wells. It contains a lot of minerals but way fewer contaminants like bacteria and germs.
- Deionized Water: This type of water does not contain a single ion of minerals. The process of deionization is a chemical process that uses resins.
- Osmosis Purified Water: This is the best substitute for distilled water. This process makes the water go through heat, membranes and pressure that removes contaminants, lead, and minerals. You can use reverse osmosis water filters for this.
In general, drinking distilled water will not create any difficulties. Most people in developed countries have a balanced diet, and for them drinking distilled water is quite essential. Using distilled water is entirely based on your choice. If you prefer this method to purify your water, you can drink distilled water as there is no harm in it. But if you do not fancy this method of purification, then you can get purified water with the help of water filters. Now you must have got the answer to your question, "Can you drink distilled water?"